Being autonomous, these universities can chart their own destiny, differentiate themselves and pursue new heights of excellence in education, research and service, whilst receiving substantial government funding.
The three autonomous universities in Singapore are :
- The National University of Singapore (NUS)
- The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and
- Singapore Management University (SMU).
Private universities and institutions
Private universities and institutions provide education to working professionals and adult learners by adopting a flexible practical learning approach to enable students to balance their career, family and studies. These are the private ones :-
- Curtin Singapore
- James Cook University Singapore
- Kaplan Higher Education Academy
- Shatec Institutes
- Management Development Institute of Singapore (MDIS)
- East Asia Institute of Management (EASB)
- Raffles College of Higher Education
- SMa Institute of Higher Learning
- S P Jain Center of Management
When it comes to project-based learning and industrial immersion, polytechnics in Singapore are possibly the best choice. Polytechnics here provide 3-year diploma courses in various disciplines.
Some courses that polytechnics offer include business studies, accountancy, tourism and hospitality management, mass communications, and biotechnology. More specialized courses are also available, including marine engineering, aeronautical studies, optometry and nursing.
There are currently five polytechnics in Singapore :
- Nanyang Polytechnic
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Temasek Polytechnic